Are you frustrated because you can’t lose weight as fast as you would like or as easy as you used to when you were younger?
Your quest for a method on how to lose weight at 50 years old has brought you in the right place.
Losing weight when you are over 50 years old is recommended only if your body weight is way over the normal limit and is interfering in a negative way with your daily activities.
At this age it is very important to watch all the changes in your body and consult a doctor as soon as you think something is wrong because the body is less effective in treating any condition.
Knowing how to lose weight at 50 years old is not that difficult and basically all you need is the right diet plan and physical activity suited for you and your age.
Here are some activities that will help you lose weight at 50 years old:
- Relaxing walks in nature (your local park, a nearby forest, a trip to the mountains or whatever makes you feel relaxed and calm);
- Swimming (go to a nice pool and swim as many times as you can and if you don’t know how to swim, you should definitely learn because swimming is one of the best and effective exercise for people over 50)
- Join a dance club (I am not referring to night clubs and discos, but rather a tango or salsa dance club);
The main reason why women over 50 gain weight more easily and lose it very hard is because the hormone called estrogen is no longer produced by the body in the normal limit.
So, when your body doesn’t find the estrogen it needs to function properly, it will begin to store fat around your abdomen, arms, neck, legs and your entire body as an alternative source of estrogen.
Now, to prevent the storage of fat in your body you need to have a correct lifestyle suited to you and your body.
There is no special diet for women over 50 but there are some basic rules to follow when you are trying to lose weight at 50 years old.
How to lose weight at 50 years old basic rules:
Rule #1: Forget about extreme diets because you can get very ill very fast. Your body and metabolism is not working at its best now so you need to take care of it more than you did when you were 20-30 years old.
So, for you to lose those extra pounds you need to make small and important changes in your daily diet and teach your body over time with the new diet plan.
Make sure that you choose only natural and rich in vitamins foods.
Rule #2: Eat fewer calories. With age your body doesn’t burn calories as it used to so you need to eat less of them in order to keep the equilibrium between the caloric intake and how much you burn.
Rule #3: Eat more proteins. The loss of muscle mass is increasing and in order to avoid it or slowing it down you need to eat more foods which contain healthy proteins.
You can get your proteins from white meat, fresh sea food, soybeans, mushrooms and seeds.
Rule #4: Consume fewer carbohydrates. When you are over 50 years old your body doesn’t store carbohydrates for energy purposes but instead it stores them as fat all around your body.
Rule #5: Remember to hydrate yourself regularly. Even if you are not very thirsty or you are not used to drinking a lot of water on a daily basis, you need to make an effort to remember to drink clean water all the time.
Water will keep your body hydrated and water is the working fluid that our body needs in order to function properly, remember that we are over 60% made out of water.
Rule #6: Give up alcohol and sweets. I know that this rule is not very popular but if you really want an effective and working weight loss program, you need to apply this rule.
- Don’t skip any meals. You need 3 meals a day in order to achieve a healthy and effective weight loss plan;
- Reduce your caffeine intake to one small cup a day because coffee can be a factor that can make your body produce insulin in excess which will only contribute to weight gain;
- Forget about snacks between important meals of the day. Eating all kind of snacks will not help you lose weight but rather help you gain some. The only “snacks” your are allowed are fruits and seeds but in small quantities of course.
How to lose weight at 50 years old – Daily Meal Plan
- A bar of oatmeal an apple and a glass of cold skim milk.
- A muffin with a low-fat percent, a slice of yellow melon and a cup of coffee with skim milk.
- One small cup of coffee, tea, yogurt mixed with fresh blueberries or fruit compote. Or maybe a combination of these, depending of your preferences.
- Beef or chicken meat cooked on the grill with vegetables (steamed vegetables) or cooked on the grill as the meat with a bowl of fresh salad.
- Remember to reduce your salt consumption as well so don’t be too generous with adding salt over the meat and vegetables.
- If you prefer a meal without meat, you can choose a dish made of beans, peas, rice and mushrooms. There are a lot of recipes you can choose from to add these foods.
- Make yourself a tasty sandwich with chicken breast and avocado. You may think that only one sandwich is not enough for lunch but you will be wrong. Avocado contains proteins, fats and chicken breast is a good source of protein and nutrients that give the feeling of fullness.
- Greek Salad (which contains tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, peppers grace, olives and feta cheese) is a good option because, besides vegetables that contain precious vitamins and minerals, you will take a good portion of protein and calcium from the cheese. Feta is considered one of the healthiest types of cheese that has a small number of calories and a low percentage of fat.
- Broccoli soup is very healthy, tasty and easy to prepare. Do not forget that broccoli is very rich in iron and has important health benefits. Broccoli is an important food in the fight against cancer, helping to destroy large amounts of estrogen can cause breast cancer in women.
- Spaghetti with olive oil, garlic and chili is among the best Italian dish, but also the simplest. Anyone can prepare a tasty Italian dish with fresh ingredients because of the simplicity of the recipes.
- Potatoes salad with carrots, mozzarella and mushrooms. This salad is perfect for dinner and ideal for lunch because it is good to eat hot or cold.
This is one of those diets that provide a full meal and a serving that has less than 200 calories. I mean, it’s a salad full of qualities.
It is very useful if you make the salad in the evening for dinner, and what remains you can take with you the next day at the office.
Now you have a good idea on how to lose weight at 50 years old and all you have to do now is to I start implementing the tips and tricks you have here and lose weight healthy and safe.
Remember to have fun while doing this!